Stop Offshoring
Google
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
 
The focus of this post isn't about offshoring. It's about telecommuting. Namely, the new policy from my employers that telecommuting is outlawed. Yes, in 2009, while more and more companies are embracing telecommuting, my employer is taking a big step backwards and banning the practice. I've been working from home once a week, except for weeks when my presence is required in the office. Management doesn't care that those of us who telecommute get as much or more done at home than we do in the office. Or that I can save 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day on commuting -- additional time that I can spend getting real work done, not to mention the savings in commute costs and aggravation.

Throw in the fact that this is the same management team that has recently started outsourcing jobs to the Philippines, and the decision just reeks of stupidity. Let me get this straight -- it's OK for people to work 8,000 miles away but not 25 miles away. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger