Stop Offshoring
Google
Monday, September 25, 2006
 
I was talking to a former coworker who was lamenting the company's decision to outsource much of its software development to India. He didn't see why, after he and others had put in so much time and effort into building the software that runs the company, the company would cut them loose and replace them with programmers in India who wouldn't be able to do as good a job.

The irony of the situation is, my ex-coworker is an Indian H-1B employee. On the one hand, I feel for him because he was one of the few good developers at the company when I worked there, and I wonder what will happen to his visa status if he loses his job. However, surely he should be aware of the dangers of outsourcing more so than most, especially since he got his job at the company when the company hired a wave of Indian H-1Bs a few years ago.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger