Stop Offshoring
Google
Monday, April 12, 2004
 
Over the weekend, one of my relatives told me about his problems with Dell. He called their tech support and got someone in India. After spending 45 frustrating minutes trying to explain what the problem was, he's going to call again and hope to get someone in the U.S. Looks like Dell needs to bring back more tech support jobs from India if they don't want to anger more customers!

Here's yet another bad experience I'm having with Indian programmers. At the last status meeting for our project, there were over 250 bugs that still needed to be fixed, with our next deadline approaching in a week! As if that wasn't bad enough, in the last two QA builds, half of the bugs that were allegedly resolved were kicked back because they really weren't. (None of those bugs belonged to me, I must say.) In listening to the Indian developers' explanations, it seemed like some of the re-opened bugs were caused by their misuderstanding of what the bug was, and some were because they just didn't test adequately. Either way, I find that level of quality inexcusable. I didn't understand why we hired them in the first place. I certainly don't understand why we haven't replaced them given their history of poor work. In the end, we all suffer because I have to work long hours to make up for their incompetence if we are to reach are deadline (which has already been extended by a month), and this company will end up with a crappy product that's overdue.



Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger